Thursday, March 24, 2011

Group Projects: Design Principals

This past week our English 102 class had to prepare and present a group project. My group, The Hangover, picked to do our presentation on Design principals. We had to inform the class about the four basic principals of design; proximity, contrast, repitition and alignment. We did so with a powerpoint presentation. One of the challenges we faced was to effectively use powerpoint.

Aside from the actual content of our project, I learned alot from this group project. First of all, it is very important that the group stays on task. There was limited time to put together  a "killer" presentation. Not only was it important for the sake of our group, but because in the real world there will also be limited time to prepare presentations. Also, it is important to use time effectively, because in my case I commute to BSU so I was not going to be able to make it back to school to finish the project if it was not finished in class.

Another improtant thing I learned from this presentation was performance. Making eye contact with the audiece so they feel engaged is important. Also, I learned how to gesture and move around just the right amount so that I was not uptight, but at the same time I did not distract from the presentation. When one is not the focal point of the presentation, it is important to not be distracting because it can take away from the presentation as a whole.

This website has great tips for presentations, check it out http://www.nvcc.edu/home/npeck/speaking/tipsforpreparinggroup.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment