Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lay of the Bowling Alley

While reading Nicole's Lay of the Land essay, I was immediately drawn in to the lively hood of the bowling alley. I was hooked by the second sentence when Nicole said, "The sounds of shoes sliding against smooth wood lanes and bowling balls rolling like thunder then slamming against multiple pins rings in my ears". The vivid imagery made me feel like I was at the bowling alley. This essay was very descriptive and allowed me to have a clear mental image of the bowling alley. One of the images that stuck out the most to me was about the stain covered red rug. I could easily picture drinks and pizza being dropped all of the carpet on a busy Saturday night. Also, when you discussed the man wearing the HHH shirt, I thought it was interesting that you inferred he was going to go home and watch wrestling. I thought this was an excellent example of Land of the Lay essay.


This essay has been very helpful for my project on the Abington Police Station. Now I have a good understanding of how much research I have to do. Also, the more detail the better. I want my audience to have used all five senses by the time they are done reading my essay. When I accomplish each of these areas my audience will know exactly what the Abington Police Station looks like. Lastly, I will also feel very awkward at the station at first because the officers are very intimidating.

1 comment:

  1. Nice analysis Gerber, I appreciate how you used specific examples in the text so I didn't have to think of my own specifically to back up your facts.
    P.S.
    Dude, I Love Your Fish!!!!

    ReplyDelete